8 replies to this topic

#1 Rocket

Rocket

PoliceSpecials.COM Staff

• Moderators
  • 12,511 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

I'd better get in first with the forum disclaimer before I go any further;

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.
Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

So, now that's out of the way we have just had a notice from the Council that there has been a complaint made because our dog (1yr old Dachshund) allegedly regularly barks.

She does bark yes because she is a dog, but I am not sure what can constitute a complaint about a dog barking regularly (times of day/night) etc and how I can stop her barking considering that she is a dog and that is how she talks to us when she is pleased to see us or excited, or there is a knock at the door.

I do understand that a dog barking can be grating to say the least, but she spends the days with me (approx 9hrs per day) at work so she isn't left alone so she cannot cause irritation to my neighbours at home 4 miles away during these hours.

The Council will not tell me who complained (Data Protection Act) so I can't even discuss the issue with them to try and sort it out.

Sorry, I'm a bit upset and apologise if I am rambling a bit.

Have any fellow dog owners on the forums been here before, what should I do? It might not even be my dog that is making all the noise and I am not sure how to defend her when she isn't guilty for all the woofing.

Edited by Rocket, 07 November 2011 - 06:51 PM.

#2 E29NP

E29NP

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:59 PM

Sorry, I'm a bit upset and apologise if I am rambling a bit.

The same happened to me about 2 years ago when I had a Springer. It only barked when it was out in the garden for a play. Rest of the time I took him for a long walks. However I had an RSPCA Inspector turn up who demanded entry! I made it very clear to her she works for a charity and without a warrant or a Police Officer in attendance, she was staying outside the door.

Needless to say I never received a return visit!

#3 TangoBravoVimto

TangoBravoVimto

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 8,747 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

The same happened to me about 2 years ago when I had a Springer. It only barked when it was out in the garden for a play. Rest of the time I took him for a long walks. However I had an RSPCA Inspector turn up who demanded entry! I made it very clear to her she works for a charity and without a warrant or a Police Officer in attendance, she was staying outside the door.

Needless to say I never received a return visit!

I'd have taken the opposite approach myself. By all means Inspector,come in. Tea/coffee? Here you can see that my dog is well cared for and there are no causes for concern and this is a spurious complaint etc etc...

Reference the original post, I would not panic. The Council will not tell you who the complainant is. The idea around writing to you is in the hope that, if there was a genuine issue, the letter would nip the matter in the bud. Responding to noise complaints is a very gradual process of escalation. Simply write back stating there is no issue to your knowledge and inviting them to attend to see this is the case if they wish. It is unlikely that they will but it shows your genuineness and co-operation at an early stage. Noise issues are a council matter under the 1996 Act. Someone will be able to look it up and quote it far better than I.

#4 Doghandler2009

Doghandler2009

Die Hard

• New Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

I had a letter about my dogs again they do bark yes but not often and not during the night funny enough it was shortly after i had a disagreement with a neighbor.

Receiving the letter was not what annoyed me it was more how it was worded I.E. it implied i was guilty already(on the say so of one person ) and was full of threats.

#5 E29NP

E29NP

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

I'd have taken the opposite approach myself. By all means Inspector,come in. Tea/coffee? Here you can see that my dog is well cared for and there are no causes for concern and this is a spurious complaint etc etc...

Had her manner been better, yes she would have had tea and biscuits. Acting like she was a warranted officer did not impress me.

Edited by pmtts, 07 November 2011 - 08:11 PM.

#6 Corbs

Corbs

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

I know that you're a rural SC so I'm confused as to where the complaint arises from (I'm presuming you live in a village (detached) but I always try to stop Roly (<--- over there) going out after about nine, as he barks at the garden where foxes have been, but I'm in a terraced house in london, and I've had no complaints, good luck, seems silly.

#7 Bubba

Bubba

Policespecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 6,962 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

Find out when the alleged barking is taking place and inform the council that the dog spends most of the time with you at work. If the dog is left alone, set up a video camera and keep the footage (we did this and it proved it wasn't as bad as the complaint made out)

To ease barking, we bought a dog music box and it worked a treat. It plays a noise at a frequency that only dogs can hear, we followed the instructions and withing 2 weeks we had cured the problem.

In the end, the complaint went away.

#8 Rocket

Rocket

PoliceSpecials.COM Staff

• Moderators
  • 12,511 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

My wife phoned up the Council today, and all they will say is that the complaint was made sometime over the past weekend which makes sense as every time the poor dog went out in the back garden in the evenings to do her business there were fireworks going off which scared her a bit and so she barked!

#9 Bubba

Bubba

Policespecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 6,962 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

My wife phoned up the Council today, and all they will say is that the complaint was made sometime over the past weekend which makes sense as every time the poor dog went out in the back garden in the evenings to do her business there were fireworks going off which scared her a bit and so she barked!

Tell them unless they give you more information, then you can't help them and just ignore them.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users