• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 95%boredom5%terror

95%boredom5%terror

Getting There

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

A) Up and down the land people are smashing intoeach other in their cars. There is only damage only, nobody’s hurt, theyexchange details and go on their way.

B) Up and down the land people are smashing intoeach other in their cars. There is not only damage – there is an injury but itsminor and the driver doesn’t want an Ambulance. They exchange details and go on their way.

In both of the above the Police would probably not be calledhowever both meet the criteria to require their RTC to have to be reportable bythe driver to the Police. They don’t andI believe that the Police would have little interest in pursuing the driversfor the offence of failing to report.

Is this common and excepted practise by drivers and by all policeforces – sorry services (old school me)

Edited by David, 30 October 2011 - 09:19 AM.
Fonts/sizes/colours changed to standard for ease of reading

#2 CSC1

CSC1

Always Here

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:20 AM

As far as I know damage only rtc's don't have to be reported.

#3 norpolcc

norpolcc

Learning Curve

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

B is reportable as its an injury rtc - no matter how slight or whether an ambulance is wanted or not. Injury rtc's are reportable.

#4 Police Constable 1

Police Constable 1

Forum Confused!

• Power Users
  • 10,859 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

A, isnt reportable as both parties have exchanged details and if police attended they would only ask for both details to be exchanged anyway and leave it to insurance to deal with

B, as stated is reportable as its an injury RTC despite both parties exchanging details

If A didnt exchange details then I think they have 48hrs to report it but if its B then it has to be reported within 24hrs (I think)

#5 SkinSte

SkinSte

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:08 AM

A, isnt reportable as both parties have exchanged details and if police attended they would only ask for both details to be exchanged anyway and leave it to insurance to deal with

B, as stated is reportable as its an injury RTC despite both parties exchanging details

If A didnt exchange details then I think they have 48hrs to report it but if its B then it has to be reported within 24hrs (I think)

It's as soon as possible or in any case within 24 hours. It does not mean you have 24 hours to report it. You must report in person.

People seem confused by force policy and law. S170 of the RTA covers your duties in an accident. Both A and B are not reportable if all drivers fulfill their obligations at the time. In the case of damage only accident then that is to exchange driver name and address, owner name and address if different and the vehicle ID mark.

A personal injury accident is only reportable if they fail to carry out the above and also produce their Insurance Certificate at the time to anyone reasonably entitled to see it.

#6 DI Sam Tyler

DI Sam Tyler

Training

• Members
  • 340 posts
Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

Got me thinking.....

If whilst driving in your own vehicle (or travelling as a Passenger in someone else's) -whilst OFF DUTY -and are involved in a RTC (with no apparent injuries sustained), and you believe that the cause / fault is due to the other driver commiting the Offence of:

• Driving without due care and attention,
  • Careless / Inconsiderate Driving,
  • Dangerous Driving
My question would be this: -as a Constable, having witnessed this Offence, would this be enough to make it a Police matter (as opposed to going down the route of an Insurance Claim?) If it is a Police matter, presumably it would be better to call it in and let someone else make the arrest? (or are there issues due to the arresting Officer aclled to the scene not having actually witnessed the Offence?)

Ta in advance :whistle:

#7 SkinSte

SkinSte

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

If you are a victim, either directly or indirectly, of a crime it's nearly always better to call for a colleague to deal with it if possible. Dealing with it yourself is leaving you open to accusations of abusing process etc (even if it's not the case).

If you suspect there are offences then it becomes a police matter, not because of the accident per se, but because of the manner of their driving.

However, you'd be unlikely to arrest even on duty; most traffic offences are nearly always dealt with by reporting for summons (if not FPNs, advice, etc).

#8 DI Sam Tyler

DI Sam Tyler

Training

• Members
  • 340 posts
Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:50 PM

If you are a victim, either directly or indirectly, of a crime it's nearly always better to call for a colleague to deal with it if possible. Dealing with it yourself is leaving you open to accusations of abusing process etc (even if it's not the case).

If you suspect there are offences then it becomes a police matter, not because of the accident per se, but because of the manner of their driving.

However, you'd be unlikely to arrest even on duty; most traffic offences are nearly always dealt with by reporting for summons (if not FPNs, advice, etc).

#9 5460

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 7,446 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

With regards to both, if the question of the vehicle being unroadworthy, uninsured etc then it would be reportable.

In addition, if an injury is sustained and the police are notified, then the officers attending need to do an additional report which goes to the government and associated agencies on what caused the crash. T1A for us....

#10 SkinSte

SkinSte

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

Could whoever negged me explain why? If I'm wrong please point out where so I can not be wrong in future. If it's due to petty childishness, thanks!

#11 DI Sam Tyler

DI Sam Tyler

Training

• Members
  • 340 posts
Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

Could whoever negged me explain why? If I'm wrong please point out where so I can not be wrong in future. If it's due to petty childishness, thanks!

I agree SkinSte -would like to know too! :)

#12 Juliet Sierra

Juliet Sierra

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

A) Up and down the land people are smashing intoeach other in their cars. There is only damage only, nobody’s hurt, theyexchange details and go on their way.

B) Up and down the land people are smashing intoeach other in their cars. There is not only damage – there is an injury but itsminor and the driver doesn’t want an Ambulance. They exchange details and go on their way.

In both of the above the Police would probably not be calledhowever both meet the criteria to require their RTC to have to be reportable bythe driver to the Police. They don’t andI believe that the Police would have little interest in pursuing the driversfor the offence of failing to report.

Is this common and excepted practise by drivers and by all policeforces – sorry services (old school me)

S170 RTA 1988 explain all:

If injury is caused to any person (other) then the driver of the vehicle concerned, including passengers in the vehicle it is reportable.
If damage is caused to any other property other than the vehicle concerned, it is reportable

Anything else is recordable.

#13 Police Constable 1

Police Constable 1

Forum Confused!

• Power Users
  • 10,859 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

It's as soon as possible or in any case within 24 hours. It does not mean you have 24 hours to report it. You must report in person.

People seem confused by force policy and law. S170 of the RTA covers your duties in an accident. Both A and B are not reportable if all drivers fulfill their obligations at the time. In the case of damage only accident then that is to exchange driver name and address, owner name and address if different and the vehicle ID mark.

A personal injury accident is only reportable if they fail to carry out the above and also produce their Insurance Certificate at the time to anyone reasonably entitled to see it.

S170 RTA 1988 explain all:

If injury is caused to any person (other) then the driver of the vehicle concerned, including passengers in the vehicle it is reportable.
If damage is caused to any other property other than the vehicle concerned, it is reportable

Anything else is recordable.

Both appear to quote from the same act and section but (albeit the fact JS refers to other than the driver) say different, one says it is not recordable and one says it is

Who is right?

#14 Juliet Sierra

Juliet Sierra

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

Both appear to quote from the same act and section but (albeit the fact JS refers to other than the driver) say different, one says it is not recordable and one says it is

Who is right?

Ive read it wrong, SkinSte is right on this one.

#15 Police Constable 1

Police Constable 1

Forum Confused!

• Power Users
  • 10,859 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:58 PM

Ive read it wrong, SkinSte is right on this one.

Its ok, we all make mistakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users