9 replies to this topic

#1 Shikari

Shikari

Forum Legend

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:55 PM

Hi everyone,

In less than a week i'll have my exam results back, and hopefully i'll be going to Keele University. I may end up applying to the Staffordshire Constabulary while i'm at uni. If anyone could provide some information as to what sort of duties are common for Specials (especially), the uniform, training and general life for Specials, i'd be much obliged.

Thanks,

Shikari

Edited by Shikari, 12 August 2011 - 06:57 PM.

#2 AmISpecial

AmISpecial

Settling In

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:21 PM

Hi everyone,

In less than a week i'll have my exam results back, and hopefully i'll be going to Keele University. I may end up applying to the Staffordshire Constabulary while i'm at uni. If anyone could provide some information as to what sort of duties are common for Specials (especially), the uniform, training and general life for Specials, i'd be much obliged.

Thanks,

Shikari

Hi Shikari,

I am currently at weekend 6 of my training so as far as duties goes i cant say much.

Uniform is generally good, specials now have autolock batons which are probably the best make out there. We still have pool stabbies (which are then issued once tried on) and radios though, i know at my station ill have a locker atleast!
Some aspects of the uniform are better than others, though overall i'd say its pretty good. A few people had preloved things but 95% of mine was new. (sometimes preowned stuff is better due to being broken in)

So far I've experienced a lot of positive feedback from my colleagues, and the specials sergeants and inspectors + are very accomodating and helpful. I've not had any bad experiences as of yet.

I would say however I dont think Staffs will be recruiting specials for a while as we will have our target of 500 by christmas, but it would be worth checking with recruitment to see if they are going to run anymore courses soon.

Also whilst you have time to prepare do a lot of research into what you're going to speak about on the assessment day and think common sense when it comes to the actual tests.

Hope the above has been slightly useful to you, and best of luck with your application!

Edited by AmISpecial, 12 August 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#3 Wolves13

Wolves13

Starting Out

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

You shouldn't put your decision on joining the Specials to how good the uniform is or what type of duties you want to be doing. You should put your choice down whether you really want to be a Special Constable and help the community. If you this is the case then this is what Staffs police are looking for, people who care about the community, want to make a difference and want to be a Special.

As for duties, it all depends on which station you are applying for, if you are based at Hanley or Cannock then you are likely to experience duties on the town, however if you are based at stations such as Wombourne or Codsall then you may be on response.

#4 MindTheGap

MindTheGap

GLEE Rocks

• Power Users
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

You shouldn't put your decision on joining the Specials to how good the uniform is or what type of duties you want to be doing. You should put your choice down whether you really want to be a Special Constable and help the community. If you this is the case then this is what Staffs police are looking for, people who care about the community, want to make a difference and want to be a Special.

I would say it's a factor to consider, If the uniform is of poor quality I'd not want to spend 8+ hours in it. I have skin issues that are relatively benign, but throw the wrong material on it and it'll flare up...

#5 Wolves13

Wolves13

Starting Out

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

I do believe that all uniform is tested for the circumstances you gave. The health and safety of a police officer is essential and police forces must comply by regulations.

#6 -AJ

-AJ

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

Hello my lovely Staffordshire friends,

Just something that occured to me, and I thought might make an interesting read - I know the Specials in Staffordshire tend to be utilised for different things, and or do different things on their own. I also know that things are sometimes arranged differently, so I thought it'd be interesting to see what you are all most often used for at your station.

State your Station Name, and stuff as well to be helpful. I'll start:

Burton (East Staffs LPU)

Primarily asked to do by the regulars:

• ASB
  • Football Matches
  • Parades/Events
Our Own duties tend to be:

• Often IMU
  • Hi Vis Foot Patrol
Our pre-planned duties are obviously organised by the Specials supervision. Our own duties are a case of turn up and speak to a regular sergeant yourself, they're always happy to have you but it's rare to plan stuff in advance, at the moment.

So does anybody else do different things, and are things organised differently...discuss :huh:

#7 Wolves13

Wolves13

Starting Out

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

Wombourne (South Staffs)

On a typical Friday night we are on mobile patrol and called to a various number of different things:
  • ASB
  • Concern for safety
  • Safe and well check
  • Suspicious incidents
  • Neighbourhood disputes
  • etc....
We also respond to IR's and take control of the situation whilst regular officers are en route to the incident. Once regulars are there, we will then assist them with duties such as house to house enquiries etc. whilst they take statements.

Obviously, our patch is more rural to other LPU's therefore the use of vehicles and range of crimes will vary to a Friday night in the city centre.

#8 fripp2002

fripp2002

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

Id personally expect the same issue as a regular officer, afterall you are volunteering to support the force and community. I guess it depends on how used the old gear is when issued.

#9 -AJ

-AJ

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:53 AM

Topics Merged about use of SCs at local stations - and use of SC's in Staffs.

#10 Kilo Sierra

Kilo Sierra

Trooper

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

Longton (Stoke On Trent South LPT)

Common Duties:
  • Targeted/hotspot ASB patrols on foot
  • ASB/Standard/any tasked jobs, when mobile
  • Other job taskings when mobile
  • Football Matches
  • Parades/Events
  • Targeted Traffic Operations
  • Prisioner Transport
  • Night time economy Hi-viz presence
My own duties tend to be:
  • IMU response
  • Hi Vis Foot Patrol
  • Hi Vis mobile Patrols
  • Plain Clothes targets ASB duties
  • 'Mentoring' duties with some newer SCs
  • A little Admin based 'Training and development' work....
  • Follow up work from tasked jobs, such as arranging mediation sessions etc
  • Planning of a specific community engaugment events.
Can also do
  • Dog section duty
  • Visit and observation duty to the force helicopter
  • Working with Neighbourhood Action Team (Proactive and reactive police unit)
  • Work with licesncing unit
  • Road Policing Unit attachment (which i only just found out about...)
Can get up to quite a bit really. Uniform is fit for purpose, but isn't always the very best, but not total rubbish. Some things are better than other forces have, so not so. This has a lot to do with money and a lot to do with SMTs ideals on 'How we should look', e.g. Harnesses are not common in Staffs, but the Uniform for Herts.

J

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users