11 replies to this topic

#1 Beanyman

Beanyman

I'm new!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

Hi,

I'm new to the idea of becoming a Special since my regs application has been binned recently due to the budget cuts, so apologies if this is answered elsewhere in the forum (I have looked)

How do shifts work ?

- Do you call in & tell them you are on your way/book your availability ?

- Do you commit to the same shift weekly ?

- Do you tie your availability in with when a regs shift starts ?

- How many hours ? the whole regs shift / part of a shift ?

#2 sparkydale

sparkydale

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

That all depends on which force you work for and to an extent, what station/division within that.

Personally, I often do complete shifts as requested, but for example, during the week I will work 19:00 - 00:00. Saturday it will 19:00 - 03:00.
Times will have to be flexible. I rarely finish at 03:00, especially if there is an arrest later on in the shift.

The shifts tend to be based at my home station and as always, as much notice as possible should be given through whichever route your force uses to manage duties (last night I committed to specific shifts going forward to November).

I have also gone in at quite short notice (a few days) and reported to the duty sergeant and then getting them to crew me with someone. This doesnt always work if there is noone suitable to be crewed with.

#3 Beanyman

Beanyman

I'm new!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm looking to join Nottingham and there's a recruitment day coming up soon but just wanted an idea of what, if any, the norm is for a typical shift duration. I know they want a committment of 16 hours per month and that just turning up for your 4 hours isn't going to be popular or productive.

With you starting at 19.00 I guess that's the start of a shift in your force so you can attend a breifing ?

#4 UK_Bod

UK_Bod

Settling In

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm looking to join Nottingham and there's a recruitment day coming up soon but just wanted an idea of what, if any, the norm is for a typical shift duration. I know they want a committment of 16 hours per month and that just turning up for your 4 hours isn't going to be popular or productive.

With you starting at 19.00 I guess that's the start of a shift in your force so you can attend a breifing ?

Can you send me details on the recruitment day please? I've jsut about finished my app form for Notts but would be good to go to one of these.

Edited by UK_Bod, 11 August 2011 - 01:22 PM.

#5 sparkydale

sparkydale

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

Generally the briefing is earlier that that, but there is a daily briefing document circulated via email.

My 19:00 - 00:00 shifts are the latter part of the evening shift and for most of the time will help to cover the drunken town centre stuff.

What's more important I think is the finish time rather than the start time. If you start late, get crewed up and then stay with whoever until they finish is more acceptable than turning up for the briefing and then leaving halfway through a shift (possibly leaving work undone).

A weekend NTE (Night time economy) shift, whilst for us, is 8 hours but more often than not turns into 10 or more. It is not difficult to turn in 16 hours/month as long as you turn up and get stuck in.

#6 Derf

Derf

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

most stations would require you to let them have 24 hrs notice when you want to go in - this is to enable the Sergeant to keep free a tutor constable or other experienced officer to crew up with you. Even if your station doesn't require notice, it would be common courtesy to give some notice.
when you first go in, tell the Sergeant / supervisor what time you're likely to be on till, this is so they don't send you to a job that may entail 2 hrs of paperwork 20 mins before you want to go home. If you're flexible and not sure what time you'll be off, tell them.

My station will never send a special away if they turn up out the blue, and will always find them something to do, but it's alot easier (and you may find you'll get some better jobs allocated) if they're expecting you.

As for when you go in, you're free to chose whenever you want, you won't be tied to regular shifts (although if you align your shifts to one particular squad's shift pattern so that you effectively only work with that squad, you may find you'll build up the comradery quicker).

#7 Beanyman

Beanyman

I'm new!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

Thanks everyone, some really good information there !

Not too fussed about finish time of a shift tbh, I'm more of a night owl anyway and can ask the wife politely to take the kids out whilst I catch up on sleep :blu: .

UK_Bod, it's on 20th August in Ollerton ...

http://www.nottingha...ial_constables/

#8 UK_Bod

UK_Bod

Settling In

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

UK_Bod, it's on 20th August in Ollerton ...

http://www.nottingha...ial_constables/

Thanks mate. That wasn't on the website the other day. Well I didn't think it was. Had to be on the other side of the county also! haha.

#9 Beanyman

Beanyman

I'm new!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

No problem, I live about 5 miles from force HQ so not too bad for me, still a 30 min trek though

#10 Jon!

Jon!

Die Hard

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

Hi,

I'm new to the idea of becoming a Special since my regs application has been binned recently due to the budget cuts, so apologies if this is answered elsewhere in the forum (I have looked)

How do shifts work ?

- Do you call in & tell them you are on your way/book your availability ?

- Do you commit to the same shift weekly ?

- Do you tie your availability in with when a regs shift starts ?

- How many hours ? the whole regs shift / part of a shift ?

Good thread, asked some questions that I've been thinking about for a while, but keep forgetting to ask. +1 :ermm:

#11 Swuzie

Swuzie

L Plates

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

Good question Beanyman, I really found all this information usefull myself, I just hope I get that far (have my Day 1 in Oct) fingers crossed.

:whistle:

#12 karmapolice

karmapolice

Lifetime Power User

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:51 AM

Moved to Force Specific, as it's a Notts question.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users