Photo
- - - - -

PC Attacked 'Urinating French Tourist'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 Duffman

Duffman

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-13685060

A police officer assaulted a French tourist and left him needing hospital treatment after spotting him urinating in a bush, a court has been told.

Pc John Caulfield chased Charles Quichaud down the street before punching and kicking him as he lay on the ground, a jury heard.

The assault is alleged to have taken place near Hoxton Square in east London in August 2009.
Pc Caulfield denies a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Southwark Crown Court heard Mr Quichaud, then 19, was on a three-week holiday in London and had been drinking in Hoxton Square.
On needing to urinate he headed for the bushes in a corner of the square where Pc Caulfield, who was on patrol, saw him.
Mr Quichaud fled to a nearby bar, chased by the officer, who then left, the court heard.
I'd never been hit before and I hope I will never be hit like that again”

Prosecutor Philip McGhee said on emerging from the bar, the teenager noticed the officer and again ran, this time along a road and into a housing estate.

Giving evidence through an interpreter, Mr Quichaud said: "I was running... I didn't know where I was and then I remember being on the ground. I don't remember exactly how but I didn't fall of my own accord, I was pushed to the ground by the policeman. There were blows to my head, to my face. I'd never been hit before and I hope I will never be hit like that again."

Covered in blood, Mr Quichaud was handcuffed, arrested for urinating in a public place and taken to hospital in an ambulance, accompanied by Pc Caulfield, the court heard.
He received stitches and later underwent an operation on his nose, which was allegedly broken in the incident.

Earlier, Mr McGhee told the jury that local residents who witnessed the alleged attack initially mistook Pc Caulfield for a mugger but then realised he was a uniformed officer.

The police officer claimed he had been attacked by the tourist and had "simply defended himself", Mr McGhee said.

The case continues.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

Experienced

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

You have to remember that the French are people too.

#3 Obsidian_Eclipse

Obsidian_Eclipse

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

So... a man goes out drinking and has a few. Pees on some shrubbery and then runs away from the police to another bar. Upon seeing the police again he runs off and then most likely falls over. As he can't remember what happened then he 'must' have been pushed.

Ok. Right...

#4 moxter

moxter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

How can a nose be allegedly broken?

#5 pathca

pathca

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

The bit that's not being mentioned is that apparently the French man has a tattoo of 3 dots on his chest meaning death to authority or death to police officers .

#6 Stratos

Stratos

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

Slightly sceptical about all this...

#7 RedCap

RedCap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

I'll hold fire to see what the local residents who witnessed have to say before leaping on the "all police are innocent" bus.

#8 Killicksparker

Killicksparker

Forum Legend

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-13685060

A police officer assaulted a French tourist and left him needing hospital treatment after spotting him urinating in a bush, a court has been told.

Pc John Caulfield chased Charles Quichaud down the street before punching and kicking him as he lay on the ground, a jury heard.

The assault is alleged to have taken place near Hoxton Square in east London in August 2009.
Pc Caulfield denies a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Southwark Crown Court heard Mr Quichaud, then 19, was on a three-week holiday in London and had been drinking in Hoxton Square.
On needing to urinate he headed for the bushes in a corner of the square where Pc Caulfield, who was on patrol, saw him.
Mr Quichaud fled to a nearby bar
, chased by the officer, who then left, the court heard.
I'd never been hit before and I hope I will never be hit like that again"

Prosecutor Philip McGhee said on emerging from the bar, the teenager noticed the officer and again ran, this time along a road and into a housing estate.

Giving evidence through an interpreter, Mr Quichaud said: "I was running... I didn't know where I was and then I remember being on the ground. I don't remember exactly how but I didn't fall of my own accord, I was pushed to the ground by the policeman. There were blows to my head, to my face. I'd never been hit before and I hope I will never be hit like that again."

Covered in blood, Mr Quichaud was handcuffed, arrested for urinating in a public place and taken to hospital in an ambulance, accompanied by Pc Caulfield, the court heard.
He received stitches and later underwent an operation on his nose, which was allegedly broken in the incident.

Earlier, Mr McGhee told the jury that local residents who witnessed the alleged attack initially mistook Pc Caulfield for a mugger but then realised he was a uniformed officer.

The police officer claimed he had been attacked by the tourist and had "simply defended himself", Mr McGhee said.

The case continues.

I'd never been hit before and I hope I will never be hit like that again - Don't pee in our bushes then Posted Image

initially mistook Pc Caulfield for a mugger but then realised he was a uniformed officer. - easy mistake to make, many English muggers take the time to dress up in police uniform Posted Image

to help

Mugger

Posted Image

Police Officer

Posted Image

On needing to urinate he headed for the bushes in a corner of the square where Pc Caulfield, who was on patrol, saw him. Mr Quichaud fled to a nearby bar - so the bar was nearby, but he would rather pee in the bush than use their toilets

#9 Giraffe

Giraffe

PoliceSpecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 16,490 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

I've removed a host of off topic and rather pointless posts. Just remember folks that saying 'All French do this' is no less offensive than saying 'All English do that', and even if you do think it's harmless this is not the Locker Room in any case.

#10 Headset57

Headset57

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

I've removed a host of off topic and rather pointless posts. Just remember folks that saying 'All French do this' is no less offensive than saying 'All English do that', and even if you do think it's harmless this is not the Locker Room in any case.

quite right too! i can only add Oui! ( Wee ) in French...Posted Image

#11 Rocket

Rocket

PoliceSpecials.COM Staff

• Moderators
  • 11,903 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

It would be wrong not to add the take from the Daily Mail to this topic.

PC 'beat teenage French tourist for urinating in public until he was dripping with blood'
Local residents at first mistook officer for a muggerA police officer assaulted a young French tourist and left him needing hospital treatment after spotting him urinating in a bush, a court heard today.

Pc John Caulfield chased Charles Quichaud down the street before delivering a series of blows to his head, face and chest as he lay curled up on the ground, it was claimed.

Local residents who witnessed the alleged attack initially mistook Caulfield for a mugger but then realised he was a uniformed officer, the jury was told on the first day of his trial.

Mr Quichaud, then 19, was on a three-week holiday in London on August 27, 2009 and had been drinking with a friend and some other young people in the middle of trendy Hoxton Square.

On needing to relieve himself, he headed for the bushes in a corner of the square where Caulfield, who was on patrol, saw him urinating.

Realising he had been caught in the act, Mr Quichaud fled to a nearby bar, chased by the officer, who then left without challenging the young man, Southwark Crown Court in London heard.

But on emerging from the bar, the teenager noticed Caulfield and again fled, this time along a road and into a housing estate, prosecutor Philip McGhee said.

'Mr Quichaud recalls only that he ended up on the floor receiving blows to his body from the police officer,' the prosecutor told the court.

'Local residents, alerted to something going on by the sounds of distress, looked out and saw what was going on.

'They will say variously that they saw a young man on the floor, curled or in the foetal position on the ground, receiving punches to the head, face and upper body, the chest, from someone they thought at first was a mugger but in fact realised was a uniformed police officer.'

None said they saw Mr Quichaud struggling or reacting, he added.

'Some were sufficiently moved to shout out at the police officer and go down where they remonstrated with the defendant.'

Dripping with blood, Mr Quichaud was handcuffed, arrested for urinating in a public place and taken to hospital in an ambulance, accompanied by Caulfield, the court heard.

He received stitches to his right eyebrow and treatment for cuts under his eye and behind his ear, he said.

He later underwent an operation on his nose, which was allegedly broken in the incident.

Caulfield is charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm, which he denies.

The police officer claimed he had been attacked by the tourist and had 'simply defended himself', Mr McGhee said.

'He claimed...anything he did was the use of reasonable force to effect an arrest or defend himself from attack,' the prosecutor told the jury.

'The prosecution says that whatever happened, what Pc Caulfield did to Mr Quichaud was not lawful.'

The Frenchman, from Angouleme in the west of the country but now living in London, described the chase that he says culminated in the attack.

Giving evidence through an interpreter, he said: 'I was running...I didn't know where I was and then I remember being on the ground.

'I don't remember exactly how but I didn't fall of my own accord, I was pushed to the ground by the policeman.

'There were blows to my head to my face. I'd never been hit before and I hope I will never be hit like that again.'

He had protected his head with his hands, he said, while the police officer stood next to him and seemed to kick him 'at least five times'.

He had been unable to put up any resistance, he added.

When the attack stopped, blood was dripping from his face, he was bleeding from his eyebrow and behind his ear, had blood in his mouth and throat and was in pain and in tears, the court heard.

But in hospital a 'rather odd' conversation ensued between himself, Caulfield and another police officer who had been on patrol with him, he said.

While the teenager waited to be treated, 'we were talking about anything and everything. We were talking about ourselves, it was a bit odd.

'I think (Caulfield) told me he was an amateur wrestler.'

The trial continues.

Link

#12 bensonby

bensonby

Forum Obsessed!

• Power Users
  • 11,026 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:26 PM

Mr Quichaud was handcuffed, arrested for urinating in a public place and taken to hospital in an ambulance

What offence is "urinating in a public place" when it's at home?

#13 Obain

Obain

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:16 AM

Section 5 I believe.

Thats what we sign it off as on PNDs anyway.

#14 Hades

Hades

PoliceSpecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:07 AM

Section 5 I believe.

*groan*

#15 SkinSte

SkinSte

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 6,517 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:14 AM

Possibly a bylaw offence where they are.

Or as Obain's post, S5. No wait, BoP! :rolleyes:

I love the Daily Mails headline "...until dripping with blood!". I often turn up at Custody and the Sgt says "I notice this man has a cut to the head, but it's not dripping is it". "Sorry Sarge, I'll just give him a going over to make sure it's dripping to the level that sensational headlines require".

#16 Noodles

Noodles

Settling In

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:50 AM

I don't remember exactly how but I didn't fall of my own accord, I was pushed to the ground by the policeman.

So despite not being able to remember how he fell he can clearly state that he was pushed by the officer?

#17 Alex_101

Alex_101

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

Moral of this story is: Don't urinate in a public place. Followed by: Don't run from the police.

#18 Hotlush

Hotlush

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,397 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

Moral of this story is: Don't urinate in a public place. Followed by: Don't run from the police.

Posted Image If the incident is as alleged, urinating and running away hardly require the offender to be beaten black and blue.

#19 Alex_101

Alex_101

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

Posted Image If the incident is as alleged, urinating and running away hardly require the offender to be beaten black and blue.

I wasn't condoning the alleged attack, just stating how it could have been avoided.

#20 bensonby

bensonby

Forum Obsessed!

• Power Users
  • 11,026 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:04 AM

Section 5 I believe.

only in an extremely limited set of circumstances....

#21 SkinSte

SkinSte

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 6,517 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

What offences do require the offender to be beaten black and blue then?

#22 Ares

Ares

Forum Regular

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 542 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

Well, at least he won't be urinating in public again :rolleyes:

#23 MerseyLLB

MerseyLLB

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

What offences do require the offender to be beaten black and blue then?

Fare evasion, misuse of barriers and boarding a train door whilst it is closing.

#24 Duffman

Duffman

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

I guess you won't be voting for a Trafalgar Day Public Holiday to be instated in October then....

#25 SkinSte

SkinSte

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 6,517 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:21 PM

Fare evasion, misuse of barriers and boarding a train door whilst it is closing.

You guys and your bylaws eh?