20 replies to this topic

#1 Jeebs

Jeebs

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

Evening All,

I'm currently a Northumbria SC and due to my personal circumstances may be moving to Lancashire within the next few weeks.

Obviously working within the Police has become a big part of my life since I joined and is not something I want to give up. I was wondering if anyone has experience with transferring from another force to Lancs. Police?

Is it a case of redoing all training and starting from scratch? I have a fair bit of operational experience and do not want to have to spend weeks in a class room before I'm allowed back out on the streets. The only areas I can see myself needing any sort of training input are Lancs. radio etiquette and your force systems and any training I haven't received from NorPol, e.g. taking a statement from an IP and interview techniques.

Final question, is Lancs a force which only allows SCs to work with Neighborhood teams and not response? Since I started I have only worked 24/7 and have no real interest/experience in NBM work.

Edited by Jeebs, 31 May 2011 - 05:11 PM.

#2 Cheetah

Cheetah

The Fast One

• Moderators
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

It has been a while since an officer I know has come from another force so I can't really comment on what the current thinking is of a transfer.

In the past officers were made to re-apply as if they were a new entrant, if they were successful they have to go through all of the same training courses as everybody else and have to complete the probationary period same as others.

A couple of years ago we had a police officer of 30 years retire from the force and come back as a special. although I don't think he went through all the application stages he did complete the basic training again with a new intake.

As for response vs NHP that is slightly dependant on which division you join although both aspects are expected of all special constables.

For a full answer you may be best contacting recruitment at Lancashire Police HQ.

Hope this helps and isn't too disappointing.

#3 Jeebs

Jeebs

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:27 PM

All replies and knowledge is welcome, no matter the news.

I dont particularly want to transfer forces if I'm 100% honest, but I may have no option. Obviously having to re-qualify and go through training which I've already had would be a massive frustration, especially since I do pretty much full time hours at the moment with NorPol, and despite lacking IPS I consider myself, along with a number of Sgts, able to work with little or no supervision if required. Going from that to being baby walked through the caution, theft act, use of force and OST stuff would just be demoralizing.

As you mentioned, best bet is to contact Lancs. recruitment and see what they have to say.

Edited by Jeebs, 31 May 2011 - 07:27 PM.

#4 Cheetah

Cheetah

The Fast One

• Moderators
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

The constabulary making you re do the training is just their way of covering themselves, that way if something goes wrong they are covered from you saying 'I was never told to do it that way', there may also be differences in how you were trained with regard to OST etc.

The Lancs training also has some home learning which obviously you should be able to sail through having already been given the knowledge from NorPol and the probation pack is competency based so again with your previous experience you should be able to complete it easily and quickly.

#5 Jeebs

Jeebs

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

I loved the OST part of my training course, and any new techniques would be welcome, but I already understand the CMM and all that sort of stuff and have been signed off to use 'Aerosol Incapacitants'. Being sprayed again, especially with the PAVA stuff Lancs. use, is something I would very much like to avoid.
How long is a full training course for a brand new applicant at the moment?

Having to get to know a new set of cops would be a pain also, are Regs. in Lancs accepting of SCs or do they view us as wannabes?

#6 Cheetah

Cheetah

The Fast One

• Moderators
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:36 AM

I loved the OST part of my training course, and any new techniques would be welcome, but I already understand the CMM and all that sort of stuff and have been signed off to use 'Aerosol Incapacitants'. Being sprayed again, especially with the PAVA stuff Lancs. use, is something I would very much like to avoid.
How long is a full training course for a brand new applicant at the moment?

Having to get to know a new set of cops would be a pain also, are Regs. in Lancs accepting of SCs or do they view us as wannabes?

You've gotta get an eyeful of PAVA, you'll love it!

The initial training is four weekends at HQ culminating with the attestation ceremony, after this there are a further four or five courses over weekends at HQ that are required to be completed as well as some other courses that aren't compulsory at an early stage. You should also receive some training within Division.

In my more recent experience of the regulars they are all very accepting of specials and a lot are in fatc former specials.

#7 pathca

pathca

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

Yes Lancashire are very positive about Specials,even in my role as a volunteer .I am made to feel welcome and appreciated .

#8 cannonballneil

cannonballneil

Settling In

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

They are very acceptiing so don't worry.

Also, there was a lad on my intake who had transferred fro chesire. He had to repeat training and probation but he enjoyed it. Different forces teach different things so I'd just embrace it and try and gain a bit of something from it, at least you won't have to spend hours worrying about learning the caution and other stuff we needed to know!

Hope it helps,

Neil

#9 Higgi

Higgi

Starting Out

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Thinking about transferring from GMP to Lancs.. I am currently a SS with GMP serving almost 3 years...Got driving authority, and a Tutor... Spoke to recruitment and was given the option for the Southern Division... Any advice welcome...

#10 C1990

C1990

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Southern Division is where you want to be!

Is there anything spcifically you want to know abotu Southern?

#11 Sharpe

Sharpe

Experienced

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Yes Southern would probably be the most appropriate (and the best, it appears, if the poll on the other thread is anything to go off). Though it depends whereabouts in GMP you are from, bearing in mind expenses can only be claimed from the force border.

Edited by Sharpe, 14 June 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#12 rabbit

rabbit

Settling In

• Power Users
  • 340 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

Being sprayed again, especially with the PAVA stuff Lancs. use, is something I would very much like to avoid.

You'll love it. Chuffing hurts. I tried to get out of it due to having had laser eye surgery recently, nope. I was given a choice, do it, or don't do it and don't go operational.

Edited by LucyHelen, 14 June 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#13 Higgi

Higgi

Starting Out

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

I live right on border of Gmp and lancs expenses wouldn't be a factor... What do you cover in lancs that Gmp don't and what areas do you cover... Also what about driving authority ..must say enjoy footpatrol ... And what can you can and cannot do..

#14 Dan_05

Dan_05

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:35 AM

Hi Higgi,

I recently transfered from Merseyside to Lancs after nearly 7 years in Merpol, I gathered I was a bit of a test subject as far as the transfer process went as it hasn't been that common for people to transfer. You shouldn't need to do the 'assessment centre', rather just go straight for an interview and then medical/fitness. Once accepted, you will still do the 5 weekends basic training which includes the two weekends of UDT, actually pretty interesting for the most part and doesn't hurt having a refresher, a good laugh too given it's residential with nights in the HQ bar, where Cheetah always wins the raffle and has the walk back with his box of beer!

Presuming you're IP, then as long as you can evidence you're competencies, you shouldn't have any problems keeping your IP and being signed off by HQ. You won't be able to transfer as a Sgt though, I had been a Sgt for 4 years in Merpol but had to move over as a Con, I believe this is supposedly being changed soon to allow transfers at rank between North West forces, but as with everything in the police, when it will happen nobody knows!

As mentioned, expenses wise you will only get paid from the border, also Lancs do not offer any food/subsistance allowance so worth checking you won't actually be making a loss by coming on duty. If you decide on Southern then you'll have the choice of either West Lancs - covering Ormskirk and Skem, Leyland or Chorley. Leyland and Chorley seem to be the most developed when it comes to SC's, West Lancs is a work in progress.

Can't really tell you what's covered/not without knowing what you do. But you can expect to do a good mixture of neighbourhood and response work, you may also get the opportunity to do shifts with other departments such as traffic. Southern actually have two SC's which are part of traffic, white hat included!

Driving authority is A-B + patrol, there are a limited number of courses made available to each division per year, it seems there have been some issues with driving and it's a bit of a difficult subject at the moment. Lancs have SC's that have completed response courses, but for some reason, they have had their tickets revoked and restrictions have also been put in place on what vehicles SC's can now drive. Seems to go in cycles this driving business as Merseyside had issues with driving a few years ago too, we lost ours completely for reasons unknown, it was only returned a year ago with a change of CC.

A couple of differences I've noted since moving is Lancs is years behind Merseyside when it comes to IT, one Lancs bobby described to me that when he visited Copy Lane it was like being on the starship Enterprise in comparison to Lancs, everything here is pretty manual still with lots of paper. There is also a single crewed policy with response in Lancs, which isnt very popular with officers as you can imagine, Merpol try to double crew every car for safety.

Overall I'm still getting used to the differences but don't regret the move so far!

Edited by Dan_05, 15 June 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#15 Higgi

Higgi

Starting Out

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

Hi Higgi,

I recently transfered from Merseyside to Lancs after nearly 7 years in Merpol, I gathered I was a bit of a test subject as far as the transfer process went as it hasn't been that common for people to transfer. You shouldn't need to do the 'assessment centre', rather just go straight for an interview and then medical/fitness. Once accepted, you will still do the 5 weekends basic training which includes the two weekends of UDT, actually pretty interesting for the most part and doesn't hurt having a refresher, a good laugh too given it's residential with nights in the HQ bar, where Cheetah always wins the raffle and has the walk back with his box of beer!

Presuming you're IP in GMP, then as long as you can evidence you're competencies, you shouldn't have any problems keeping your IP and being signed off by HQ. You won't be able to transfer as a Sgt though, I had been a Sgt for 4 years in Merpol but had to move over as a Con, I believe this is supposedly being changed soon to allow transfers at rank between North West forces, but as with everything in the police, when it will happen nobody knows!

As mentioned, expenses wise you will only get paid from the border, also Lancs do not offer any food/subsistance allowance so worth checking you won't actually be making a loss by coming on duty. If you decide on Southern then you'll have the choice of either West Lancs - covering Ormskirk and Skem, Leyland or Chorley. Leyland and Chorley seem to be the most developed when it comes to SC's, West Lancs is a work in progress.

Can't really tell you what's covered/not without knowing what you do in GMP. But you can expect to do a good mixture of neighbourhood and response work, you may also get the opportunity to do shifts with other departments such as traffic. Southern actually have two SC's which are part of traffic, white hat included!

Driving authority is A-B + patrol, there are a limited number of courses made available to each division per year, it seems there have been some issues with driving and it's a bit of a difficult subject at the moment. Lancs have SC's that have completed response courses, but for some reason, they have had their tickets revoked and restrictions have also been put in place on what vehicles SC's can now drive. Seems to go in cycles this driving business as Merseyside had issues with driving a few years ago too, we lost ours completely for reasons unknown, it was only returned a year ago with a change of CC.

A couple of differences I've noted since moving is Lancs is years behind Merseyside when it comes to IT, one Lancs bobby described to me that when he visited Copy Lane it was like being on the starship Enterprise in comparison to Lancs, everything here is pretty manual still with lots of paper. There is also a single crewed policy with response in Lancs, which isnt very popular with officers as you can imagine, Merpol try to double crew every car for safety.

Overall I'm still getting used to the differences but don't regret the move so far!

Thanks very much for that, you have covered all aspects I needed to know... Im up for a challenge and starting from scratch wouldnt be a bad thing, I have challenged myself as much as I can by getting involved with absolutley everything I can and more, like I said expenses are not a factor and I do it for the love of the job...Got my thinking head on now... Watch this space lol

#16 Jeebs

Jeebs

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

Dan,

What was the transfer process like? Although I started this topic over a year ago Im still interested in a transfer or dual working agreement with Lancs/NorPol because of my current day job.

#17 Dan_05

Dan_05

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:16 AM

It was pretty straight forward, it was 12 months ago when I started it though so things may have changed slightly, especially with the new transfer protocol that has now been agreed.

First off I rang HQ to enquire about it, was sent an application form so they could get all my details on file, I was then asked to go for an interview, after that I had to wait for a fitness and medical date, once they were out the way, Merseyside were contacted for references and service history etc. Then it was just a case of waiting for the next intake to start, I missed one as I was on holiday during it so had to wait for the next one, once you've done the initial weekends training you should be able to get your IP status back and then start to get used to the ways of Lancs.

#18 ksks

ksks

Settling In

• Excluded
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

anyone heard when lancashire may next recruit for pc's externally please? I have a few friends who missed out with Cheshire and would not mind applying to Lancashire.

Ive checked the website - it just says not recruiting.

#19 Cuddles

Cuddles

Mischievous Northern monkey

• Moderators
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

No timescales unfortunately but I think they may have to wait a while as it would seem that internal recruitment is going to be the way forward for the forseeable.

#20 Millhouse

Millhouse

Experienced

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

No timescales unfortunately but I think they may have to wait a while as it would seem that internal recruitment is going to be the way forward for the forseeable.

With a lot of officers joining the Specials from an accredited University course in Policing (they've had a lot of the law training by the time they become an SC) it makes sense for the force to take these on as PCs as and when the time comes.

They have to go through an interview and vetting but it cuts a lot of the assessment process out as they are not just anyone off the street.

Edited by Millhouse, 04 July 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#21 LankyDan

LankyDan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Well I have been informed that no decision has yet been made by the ACC regarding the next intake and what means they may select the new recruits.

I thought the same as you.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users