4 replies to this topic

#1 ds1989

ds1989

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

Hello all!

I have a quick question I am currently joining the met as a special but at some point I would like to move across to Wales and subsequently transfer to south wales police, how ever I heard in a tv program that you have to also speak welsh in order to get in? (if so I
May start learning now :whistle: )

Thanks
Dan

#2 jag

jag

L Plates

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

Hello all!

I have a quick question I am currently joining the met as a special but at some point I would like to move across to Wales and subsequently transfer to south wales police, how ever I heard in a tv program that you have to also speak welsh in order to get in? (if so I
May start learning now :) )

Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan,

Who ever told you, you have to speak Welsh to join South Wales Police they are wrong! its not even a requirement. In 3 years I have been in, I have never spoke welsh or had to read it once. It can be difficult on times when you trying to update the control room on your location if you on a street with a perticularly welsh name but 9 times out of ten they can check mapping and know exactly where you are.

Lee

#3 ds1989

ds1989

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hey,

Thank you for that! Though I may learn a bit of welsh as I love the languange!

#4 walesmjc

walesmjc

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

You are confusing SWP with NORTH WALES POLICE where you do need to speak Welsh and there is an entrance exam in Welsh which you must pass before being accepted. No such exam in any of the other 3 Welsh forces.

#5 Non-Cop

Non-Cop

I'm new!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:29 PM

Hey,

Thank you for that! Though I may learn a bit of welsh as I love the languange!

Good Man. Being from South Wales (Born & Bred) the one regret in my life is not learing to speak my home language - Fluently. :yawn:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users