62 replies to this topic

#1 adam5770

adam5770

I'm new!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

Just a general thought...

I've been invited to a friends wedding which is in a few months time, and considering the Groom and most of the guests are serviing military personnel. I was wondering what everyone's general thoughts were in regards to wearing the Police tunic to ceremonies?

Regards

A

#2 x024684427

x024684427

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

If your allowed to do it, make sure you don't get really intoxicated and make it to broadsheet!

#3 Giraffe

Giraffe

PoliceSpecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 16,532 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

I personally think it's OTT to wear a police No1 uniform to a wedding, even if there are guests in military uniform. That said I'm sure there will be others who will disagree, but that's just my view. I think it would look a little odd if I'm honest, especially if all of the military attendees are all from the same regiment and wearing the same uniform.

#4 Bouquaine

Bouquaine

Kaonashi of the Year

• Members
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

This has stirred some debate before, you'll find it here.

I think the general consensus is that people can understand the pride found in being a Constable, however there is a strong wave of support for keeping policing and private lives seperate these days.

In the (very) old days when a Constable could only wear his his uniform because this was (invariably) his place in the community, then yes, wearing a uniform to a wedding would have been the norm. However, these days the job is seen as just that - a job - rather than a vocation, and therefore it might seem bizarre or even waltish (particularly for a Special) to want to wear a uniform as a matter of choice.

I suppose that ultimately the decision should be made by someone senior, i.e. seek permission to wear uniform for 'non-policing purposes'. That's what I'd suggest anyway.

EDIT: Someone has -1'd me for summarising the linked thread! Good work Einstein!

Edited by Bouquaine, 04 January 2011 - 05:11 PM.

#5 PaJama Police

PaJama Police

Trooper

• Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:46 PM

I think the general consensus is that people can understand the pride found in being a Constable, however there is a strong wave of support for keeping policing and private lives seperate these days.

In the (very) old days when a Constable could only wear his his uniform because this was (invariably) his place in the community, then yes, wearing a uniform to a wedding would have been the norm. However, these days the job is seen as just that - a job - rather than a vocation, and therefore it might seem bizarre or even waltish (particularly for a Special) to want to wear a uniform as a matter of choice.

I suppose that ultimately the decision should be made by someone senior, i.e. seek permission to wear uniform for 'non-policing purposes'. That's what I'd suggest anyway.

I was shocked today to see some photos of an MSC colleague on facebook wearing their uniform at what looked like a fancy dress party (they had removed their shoulder numbers, but were still wearing their name badge).

I assume this is a big NO NO.

#6 yankeemikespecial

yankeemikespecial

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

If you weren't the only one going in a tunc, ie a Police Officers wedding and the whole team were going in tunics, then by all means go for it. I would do it in these circumstances if I was a regular. I found it weird at an award cermony recently an SC was there in his tunic when nobody else, apart from the SMT, was wearing theirs. He even saluted the C/super when called up on stage. I found that a little strange.

#7 Police Constable 1

Police Constable 1

Forum Confused!

• Members
  • 10,803 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

He even saluted the C/super when called up on stage. I found that a little strange.

I assume he was a longer serving special as when I joined we were taught to salute senior officers

#8 yankeemikespecial

yankeemikespecial

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

I assume he was a longer serving special as when I joined we were taught to salute senior officers

Yeah he was. Did they used to teach you marching drills as well? I think a bit of discipline wouldn't go amiss now tbh. It was just strange for me to see as he looked like he was SMT but then saw the collar number and was wondering why he wasn't wearing what everybody else had been instructed to wear.

#9 Police Constable 1

Police Constable 1

Forum Confused!

• Members
  • 10,803 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

Yeah he was. Did they used to teach you marching drills as well? I think a bit of discipline wouldn't go amiss now tbh. It was just strange for me to see as he looked like he was SMT but then saw the collar number and was wondering why he wasn't wearing what everybody else had been instructed to wear.

Yeah we were taught drill

also taught it during my recent regs training

#10 yankeemikespecial

yankeemikespecial

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

Yeah we were taught drill

also taught it during my recent regs training

Really? They don't even teach it much on the Public Order course in West Mids. Some of the dirty boots and un-ironed uniform you see officers wearing makes me think that we could do with a drill sgt drumming new recruits into shape. I guess it isn't a priority for some forces now. I would like to see the tunic back for ceremony or interviews but it isn't cost effective really as how often would officers realistically need one.

#11 Police Constable 1

Police Constable 1

Forum Confused!

• Members
  • 10,803 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

Really? They don't even teach it much on the Public Order course in West Mids. Some of the dirty boots and un-ironed uniform you see officers wearing makes me think that we could do with a drill sgt drumming new recruits into shape. I guess it isn't a priority for some forces now. I would like to see the tunic back for ceremony or interviews but it isn't cost effective really as how often would officers realistically need one.

I know its off topic but I hated it during regs training, we had inspection every mon and fri mornings for 30 mins, shirts and irons had to be ironed perfect and showed polished so you could see your face in it!

#12 Rorschach

Rorschach

Trooper

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

I'd probably give the PPE a miss.

#13 MindTheGap

MindTheGap

GLEE Rocks

• Power Users
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

Technically Drill Sergeants are Constables who are 'ranked up' for more credibility.

#14 support

support

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

The advice is to check force order and speak to your Inspector, I have been to a number of police weddings and the general rule is that uniform is very rare to see, especially if people are drinking afterwards at the reception.

I once stayed a hotel where a number of officers were attending a wedding and got the worse for drink and this lead to one being arrested and another ended subject to a Reg 9, that being said no one was in uniform, but they had got very drunk and abused another guest in the hotel bar, turned out the guest was a retired senior officer, all went pair shaped from there.

C.

PS: Happy New Year all.

#15 yankeemikespecial

yankeemikespecial

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

I know its off topic but I hated it during regs training, we had inspection every mon and fri mornings for 30 mins, shirts and irons had to be ironed perfect and showed polished so you could see your face in it!

Haha, I don't think you are supposed to like it. I bet you are a smarter dressed officer for it though.

#16 rosco

rosco

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 5,161 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

I would like to see the tunic back for ceremony or interviews but it isn't cost effective really as how often would officers realistically need one.

Well, we are instructed to wear them at court as well as ceremonial events, so most regulars at least will wear it a few times a year. And I wear mine when attending interviews (as either interviewer or interviewee).

#17 hampshiresaint

hampshiresaint

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

It does seem a little waltish to me. Unless there was a requirement to wear no1s then I would stay well clear.

#18 DCI TAGGART

DCI TAGGART

Experienced

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

Do all forces still issue tunics? I went for my uniform fitting recently but they don't seem to issue them in TVP. I did wonder though when we attest if we'd wear the new issue polo shirts!!!

#19 hampshiresaint

hampshiresaint

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

Do all forces still issue tunics? I went for my uniform fitting recently but they don't seem to issue them in TVP. I did wonder though when we attest if we'd wear the new issue polo shirts!!!

Alot of forces do not issue tunics but you are supplied with them for certain occasions like funerals.

I doubt that you would wear your polos for attestation as these are for front line duties. Attestation is a formal event.

#20 yankeemikespecial

yankeemikespecial

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

Well, we are instructed to wear them at court as well as ceremonial events, so most regulars at least will wear it a few times a year. And I wear mine when attending interviews (as either interviewer or interviewee).

Or going to see PSD as well. Nothing screams proffesionalism like a tunic.
I think we should wear them, especially at court. But they have been removed from issue for a reason and I guess that is because they are not cost effective to give them to every officer. I think that our force has a pool service though.

#21 bensonby

bensonby

Forum Obsessed!

• Power Users
  • 11,174 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

If you weren't the only one going in a tunc, ie a Police Officers wedding and the whole team were going in tunics, then by all means go for it. I would do it in these circumstances if I was a regular. I found it weird at an award cermony recently an SC was there in his tunic when nobody else, apart from the SMT, was wearing theirs. He even saluted the C/super when called up on stage. I found that a little strange.

that does sound odd- was it indoors? In which case why was he wearing a hat? (you can't salute without a hat on - as I'm sure he would have been taught, being "old school")

It does seem a little waltish to me. Unless there was a requirement to wear no1s then I would stay well clear.

How is it waltish if you wear a uniform which shows you as a police officer, when you are, indeed, a police officer?

#22 hampshiresaint

hampshiresaint

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

How is it waltish if you wear a uniform which shows you as a police officer, when you are, indeed, a police officer?

I don't see a problem if you are invited to a high profile police wedding and others are wearing tunics. But if you are going to your own or a friends I wouldn't wear one. A police officer is just a job. A wedding is a party and I am normally drunk dancing away enjoying myself not showing myself as an officer.

#23 Harrovian

Harrovian

Trooper

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

Met do.

Our attestation was quite formal so we had to wear them for it (complete with white gloves).

Edited by Harrovian, 03 January 2011 - 07:37 PM.

#24 yankeemikespecial

yankeemikespecial

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

that does sound odd- was it indoors? In which case why was he wearing a hat? (you can't salute without a hat on - as I'm sure he would have been taught, being "old school")

He was wearing his lid. He got a half arsed salute back from the SMT as well which made it very uncomfortable to watch.

#25 Bravo

Bravo

Settling In

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

If you worked at Argos, would you wear an Argos shirt to the wedding?

No, thought not ;)

It would look funny to be sat there in Police Uniform, probably funnier than if it was fancy dress. Then dancing in it, would that look very professional?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users