• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Truman Burbank

Truman Burbank

Experienced

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:49 AM

Anyone know what to do if your dog eats a bee? His face is all swollen up like a balloon on one side...

#2 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

Anyone know what to do if your dog eats a bee? His face is all swollen up like a balloon on one side...

Take it to the vet. Odds are it's the same procedure as humans and he needs an antihistamine.

#3 Truman Burbank

Truman Burbank

Experienced

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

I'm hoping he's not going to need actual vet visit. He's up and about and seems happy to eat his bone in the garden like normal. He just looks insane with one side of his face all big Posted Image

I'm going to monitor him closely!

#4 Damsel

Damsel

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:00 AM

Take it to the vet. Odds are it's the same procedure as humans and he needs an antihistamine.

Yep, get it to a vet, sharpish. Your dog has had an allergic reaction to a bee sting (Anaphylaxis) which can be severe, even life threatening.

It's easily treatable with one simple injection, though your vet may want to keep the dog for 24/48 hours for obs.

#5 Truman Burbank

Truman Burbank

Experienced

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:23 AM

Thanks all for your replies. I phoned my vet and he says the dog should be fine as long as he is breathing and no tongue swelling (OK on both of those)

He advised to give him some Piritin hayfever tablet (4mg) which I have. Then just keep an eye on him

Cheers for all the advice, although I'm not sure why I decided to post on a police forum for pet advice, it has been useful (I am quite daft sometimes Posted Image )

#6 Damsel

Damsel

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

Thanks all for your replies. I phoned my vet and he says the dog should be fine as long as he is breathing and no tongue swelling (OK on both of those)

He advised to give him some Piritin hayfever tablet (4mg) which I have. Then just keep an eye on him

That's good then, at least you've phoned and spoken to a vet. And I'm very glad that your dog will be ok. It may indeed have taught it a valuable lesson in as much as Bees are NOT breakfast Posted Image

Cheers for all the advice, although I'm not sure why I decided to post on a police forum for pet advice, it has been useful (I am quite daft sometimes Posted Image )

You'd be surprised I think. Being as this a a forum for Specials, the range of 'day jobs' that you'll find on here might raise an eyebrow. You never know who might reply to a thread, and what their day job might be.

#7 Rocket

Rocket

PoliceSpecials.COM Staff

• Moderators
  • 11,903 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:34 AM

Just curious, what sort of dog is he? My boxer dog Pebbles used to harass bees.

She used to spend ages playing with hedgehogs too, she knew it hurt but she just couldn't help herself (hence the continual yelping!) we thought she was injured the first time she did it.

#8 Truman Burbank

Truman Burbank

Experienced

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

He's a whippet, only 3 months so he pretty much tries to eat everything, from bees to spiders to slugs and even saw him munching a hairy caterpillar.  But fortunately got the caterpillar out of his gob before we had another disaster  :ermm:

#9 GaryW

GaryW

Trooper

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

You'd be surprised I think. Being as this a a forum for Specials, the range of 'day jobs' that you'll find on here might raise an eyebrow. You never know who might reply to a thread, and what their day job might be.

or what they have come across outside of work, for example, my wife is allergic to bee stings and has to carry an epipen with her so I'm very familiar with anaphylaxis.

He's a whippet, only 3 months so he pretty much tries to eat everything, from bees to spiders to slugs and even saw him munching a hairy caterpillar. But fortunately got the caterpillar out of his gob before we had another disaster :ermm:

Yeah my cats the same. I don't bother killing spiders, I just point her at them. Bees I try to keep her away from.

Edited by gdwnet, 14 September 2010 - 12:27 PM.

#10 Truman Burbank

Truman Burbank

Experienced

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:36 AM

Update - he is alive and well, and as bouncy as usual today! Now he even has his stupid naughty face back Posted Image . Cheers for everyone's advice

#11 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:43 AM

Update - he is alive and well, and as bouncy as usual today! Now he even has his stupid naughty face back Posted Image . Cheers for everyone's advice

Good news!

Hopefully he will bee a bit more sensible in the future. :D

#12 Doghandler2009

Doghandler2009

Die Hard

• New Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

Good to hear he is fine yep a pups thought are quite simple can i play with it or if not can i eat it

I had a male pup that growled and barked at a snail because it wouldnt play ball

#13 Windhill

Windhill

Die Hard

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:15 AM

I have a malamut 2 years old. She loves to chase wasps and munch on them! She will also strip a plum tree bare!

Edited by hillman, 15 September 2010 - 11:16 AM.

#14 Steve Collins

Steve Collins

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

Help my dog looks like the Elephant Man

Don't feel too bad about it, so did my first wife.

Glad your dogs OK tho' :w00t:

#15 Stevie6544

Stevie6544

Trooper

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:53 PM

"Don't feel too bad about it, so did my first wife"

The morning after? :w00t: :)

#16 Steve Collins

Steve Collins

Forum Legend