• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ddaveboygreen

ddaveboygreen

I'm new!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

Found this forum while looking up some information on Police Detention Officers and thought I would join and post about an incident that occurred on the 10th of July while I was in custody and ask the question....Did the Detention officer go too far and beyond his duties?

I was arrested at Swindon train station on the 10th of July after making my way home from Bristol, I was arrested at Swindon after an incident involving the security guard at the train station after I refused to leave while waiting for a connecting train.

During the arrest I was thrown to the ground, put in the back to back position and handcuffed, then the security guard from the station decided to get involved and jumped on my back and as a result a fair bit of damage was done to my left wrist....

Now, while in custody, I had made it clear that I had injuries to my wrist as the result of what happened while being arrested, (there was a 2 inch cut on my wrist from the handcuff's still bleeding and visible as well as swelling) then when taken to be finger printed and photographed I had stated that not only would I have difficulty in doing the finger prints of my left hand because of the injuries to my wrist but also I have had in recent years a lot of surgery on my left hand including tendon repair surgery following a work accident which has left me with limited use of my left hand even after surgery, the detention officers still tried to force my hand to have the prints taken.....

After 2 failed attempts one of the Detention officers booted me......yes booted me near the top of the side of my left leg which when doing so knocked me to the floor, I was then forcefully picked up and although clearly in a lot of pain with my hand and wrist they continued taking the prints causing me further pain and aggravating the injury's I already had. (Since this happening I have had difficulty walking or putting weight on my leg over 2 weeks later)

Now....what I would like to know is....what on earth gives a Detention officer the power to assault someone in custody in this way? Is this a case of putting a badge on a civilian officer and it going to their head? One thing is for sure....there is no way in hell I will be allowing the police to hide this one away under the local resolution process.....I will be doing everything possible to loose the Detention Officer his job after assaulting me!!

Edited by ddaveboygreen, 29 July 2010 - 02:32 PM.

#2 Midsman1

Midsman1

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

Firstly this is not a lgeal drop in centre, there is a disclaimer which someone will post helpfully!

Secondly we are getting one side of the story and i doubt anyone will be prepared to make any further comment relating to this incident other than to say that if you feel agrrieved take it up with Wiltshire Police, directly if you phone their non emergency number they will connect you to the complaints department where you can lodge a formal complaint or contact the station where you were detained and ask to speak to the duty inspector.

Edited by Midsman1, 29 July 2010 - 02:41 PM.

#3 Hyde

Hyde

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

#4 Jaime

Jaime

Starting Out

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

Makes me laugh how you come onto a forum for Police specials and have a pop about the police.

Not knowing both sides of the story I won't and can't comment on your post. But I would suggest if you feel you have been treated unfair then contact a solicitor and follow his advise rather then post on a forum where nobody can help you.

#5 ddaveboygreen

ddaveboygreen

I'm new!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

Makes me laugh how you come onto a forum for Police specials and have a pop about the police.

Not knowing both sides of the story I won't and can't comment on your post. But I would suggest if you feel you have been treated unfair then contact a solicitor and follow his advise rather then post on a forum where nobody can help you.

Not the Police im having a pop at if you read my post...its the Detention officer

#6 Rocket

Rocket

PoliceSpecials.COM Staff

• Moderators
  • 12,247 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

Wow, you must really have been kicking off.

#7 Fry

Fry

PoliceSpecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 10,101 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

Well, it's difficult to say anything when you've got one side of the story. I do wonder what you did that required the police to be called, ejected from the railway station, and then arrested, then taken down as part of that arrest. That suggests to me that you might have been a touch on the non-compliant side.

#8 ddaveboygreen

ddaveboygreen

I'm new!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

Maybe I could half understand it if I was Rocket but apart from persisting in making the detention officers aware of the injuries I had which I wouldnt say was kicking off then I dont see how....

Even if it was a case of someone in custody kicking off, yes I understand that that person would have to be restrained but to boot someone near enough at waste height is nothing but an out and out assault!!

Well, it's difficult to say anything when you've got one side of the story. I do wonder what you did that required the police to be called, ejected from the railway station, and then arrested, then taken down as part of that arrest. That suggests to me that you might have been a touch on the non-compliant side.

I was arrested for refusing to leave the train station after a couple who asked me to move out of the seat I sat in asked me to move because they wanted to put their feet up on the seats, after security were called they then claimed that they asked me to move seats because they were offended by the Union Jack shirt I was wearing and security at swindon had asked me to leave the station but having not done anything I thought to warrent me being made to leave the station I refused to leave.

#9 Damsel

Damsel

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

Not the Police im having a pop at if you read my post...its the Detention officer

OK, here's your starter for 10.

Who does the detention officer work for?

You're not I'm afraid, going to get too much sympathy around here. Your best bet, if you feel that you have been badly treated is to make a complaint at your local police station, or, as someone else has already said, go and see a solicitor.

There's not really a lot else that anyone from here, and/or who doesn't know both sides of the full story can say.

#10 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

This topic is not going to go anywhere.

No one here knows the circumstances of this event. And as well as you may draw out what happened for us forgive me if I don't believe that you are being entirely unbiased with your views.

Like previously said, if you have an issue with how you were treated then take it up with the correct channels and consult a solicitor if need be.
Asking us on an internet forum is going to get you nowhere other than into arguments.

#11 Reado

Reado

Trooper

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 882 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

If you wanna make a complaint dont do it on a public forum. Do so at a station or phone or internet.

As everyone has said. We have heard only your side of the story and will not comment on this any further

Edited by reado, 29 July 2010 - 03:10 PM.

#12 Rocket

Rocket

PoliceSpecials.COM Staff

• Moderators
  • 12,247 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

Oh, here comes the padlock (rightly so)

#13 Midsman1

Midsman1

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

Haha you got a +1 from me bigman, quality!

#14 David

David

Ninja Pussycat :)

• Moderators
  • 31,227 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

Folks, whilst I fully back the notion this isn't a legal advice drop-in centre, and that so far we have only one side of the story, I have been disappointed with some of the replies to the original poster.

Given that - so far - the tone of the original poster has been quite reasonable, I would have hoped that our replies could have been, even if they'd been negative.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users