• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 Alan Partridge

Alan Partridge

PoliceSpecials.com Legend

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

Posted ImageIs Alan P. now a Special!? I had wondered what had happened to him after his production company went udders-up. I'm surprised there isn't a new series being made, something like "Crash. Bang. Wallop. I'm a volunteer copper. You're knicked!" Ahaa!
Posted Image

LMAO! Pear Tree Productions went down the pan and I joined the Specials... :rolleyes:

#27 ninetyone

ninetyone

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

So CoLP are still not the smallest in England? Ports smaller?

In England, the smallest legally constituted police force is the City of London with 830. CNC are smaller, with 751, but operate throughout Great Britain. The smallest body of constables anywhere in the UK is Larne, with 2, and in England, Falmouth with 4.

#28 E29NP

E29NP

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 8,528 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

In England, the smallest legally constituted police force is the City of London with 830. CNC are smaller, with 751, but operate throughout Great Britain. The smallest body of constables anywhere in the UK is Larne, with 2, and in England, Falmouth with 4.

But Portland Harbour Authority state they have 4 also!

Taken from their website :
Portland Harbour Authority has the powers under Article 79 of the Harbours, Docks and Piers Clauses Act 1847 to appoint Special Constables for Portland Harbour to police and control usage of the Harbour by members of the public and other users of the harbour in vessels. Article 79 states, “Any two justices may appoint such persons as may be nominated for that purpose by the undertakers to be special constables within the limits of the harbour, dock, pier and premises of the undertakers, and within one miles of the same; and every person so appointed shall be sworn in by any such justices duly to execute the office of a constable with the limited aforesaid, and when so sworn in shall have the same powers, protections and privileges within the limits aforesaid, and shall be subject to the same liabilities, as constables have or are subject to by the laws of the realm”.

Portland Harbour Authority has four attested special constables for the harbour to supervise, control & enforce the provisions of the Order if required.

Edited by pmtts, 25 June 2010 - 12:35 PM.

#29 ninetyone

ninetyone

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:40 PM

I was going from the only consistent source on port/harbour police numbers, which was a DfT report from 2002! Portland had 10 but they've obviously dropped off since then! Thank you, and updated the table accordingly.

#30 E29NP

E29NP

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 8,528 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

I was going from the only consistent source on port/harbour police numbers, which was a DfT report from 2002! Portland had 10 but they've obviously dropped off since then! Thank you, and updated the table accordingly.

A pleasure :w00t:

Another snippet of info that may be of interest. There are no longer any official Harbour Police at Falmouth. Only the Docks remains with a policing unit.

#31 modplod06

modplod06

Settling In

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:33 PM

Is tha Larne as in Northern Ireland as I came off the ferry last week and saw a marked vehicle with Port Police on it.

#32 gts0994

gts0994

Settling In

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

Is tha Larne as in Northern Ireland as I came off the ferry last week and saw a marked vehicle with Port Police on it.

Yes, and it never ventures very far away from the ferry terminal!

#33 ninetyone

ninetyone

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

A pleasure :D

Another snippet of info that may be of interest. There are no longer any official Harbour Police at Falmouth. Only the Docks remains with a policing unit.

I assumed so, because I can't find any mention of them on the website, but again I was going off that 2002 report :D Is it just D&C now then?

Edited by ninetyone, 26 June 2010 - 01:34 PM.

#34 E29NP

E29NP

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 8,528 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

I assumed so, because I can't find any mention of them on the website, but again I was going off that 2002 report :p Is it just D&C now then?

I'm not to sure :p

I presume they must just have private security or in house looking after the harbour estate now.

#35 aliw135

aliw135

Starting Out

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

How about a cathedral force such as York Minister or Salisbury Cathedral Police?

Or a university constabulary?

#36 01mterr1

01mterr1

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

How about a cathedral force such as York Minister or Salisbury Cathedral Police?

Or a university constabulary?

are they still sworn in as constables? i was under the impression they were effectively 'in house' security these days.

#37 aliw135

aliw135

Starting Out

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

Cathedral and Minister Police are not attested but get to be called Constable from a tradition dating back to 13th century.

University Police are attested under Universities Act 1825, appointed by University Chancellors, allowing constables within a 4 mile radius of the university.

Known as Bulldogs, Proctors or Constables the officers enforce school rules, guard examination halls, and enforce all law.

Oxford University Police (closed 2003) and Eton College Constabulary (closed 1892) no longer continue to have constables.

Cambridge University still carries the tradition with 20 or 30 officers with full police powers, however they generally restrict themselves to internal matters. General patrolling was phased out in the 60's and now only patrol when needed. They wear a very different uniform, shirt, tie, cloak and top hat.

But they are attested Constables.

#38 parks plod

parks plod

L Plates

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:05 PM

Try CNC instead with about 750
http://www.cnc.polic...re-do-they-work

As are a few of the London based parks Constabularies, Hammersmith & Fulham have 25, 1 Insp, 3 Sgts 20 Pc's.
http://www.lbhf.gov....onstabulary.asp

Kensington & Chelsea have 1 Insp, 2 Sgst 15 PC's,
http://www.rbkc.gov....iceservice.aspx

Hampstead Heath have 1 Supt 1 Sgt 12 PC's
http://www.hampstead...nstabulary.html

At the moment at Hampstead Heath we are short so we only have 2 sgts and 8 pc's and the supt is not sworn in because he is responsible for all departments on the Heath and not a uniformed officer but we do have a uniformed insp. So could we qualify as the smallest?.

Edited by parks plod, 12 May 2011 - 08:07 PM.

#39 Police Constable 1

Police Constable 1

Forum Confused!

• Members
  • 10,846 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

At the moment at Hampstead Heath we are short so we only have 2 sgts and 8 pc's and the supt is not sworn in because he is responsible for all departments on the Heath and not a uniformed officer but we do have a uniformed insp. So could we qualify as the smallest?.

I think Falmouth is smaller as they only have 4 officers

#40 Juliet Sierra

Juliet Sierra

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

Who is the largest in terms on number? and area?

:aok:

#41 Police Constable 1

Police Constable 1

Forum Confused!

• Members
  • 10,846 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

Who is the largest in terms on number? and area?

:aok:

Numbers - Met
Area - Northern

#42 Rorschach

Rorschach

Trooper

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:35 PM

Cambridge Uni police get cloaks? Damnit, I want a cloak. :aok:

#43 ninetyone

ninetyone

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

There's a table here that can be ordered by area/size/budget - need to update it though!
http://en.wikipedia...._United_Kingdom

#44 Woody

Woody

The new Sheriff in town

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:52 PM

Bristol port have a small force , I will ask how many officers they have.

#45 Killicksparker

Killicksparker

Forum Legend

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

Cambridge Uni police get cloaks? Damnit, I want a cloak. :D

Posted Image

The guy in the background!!!

and http://www.flickr.co...r2403/97177222/

For Cambridge University Constables

#46 aliw135

aliw135

Starting Out

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

Cambridge Univeristy Constables - built for comfort not for speed.

Edited by aliw135, 11 July 2011 - 04:14 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users